Tuesday, January 28, 2014

2014 Grammy Recap

I didn't watch. I was too busy watching The Godfather (for about the 100th time) on AMC.

But thanks to YouTube, I watched the performances. So here are my thoughts on those.

Best Performance: Kendrick Lamar & Imagine Dragons


No gimmicks. Just smoke, Kendrick and Imagine Dragons going hard. It was awesome. What a great pair.

Worst Performance: Lorde


Uh...what? No gimmicks here either but it didn't do Lorde any favors. She kept doing some twitchy thing with her body and hands, but it was weird. Dancing is probably not her strong suit. She also had a raspier than normal voice going on. I really like this song too, so I was disappointed at what I thought was an underwhelming performance. Lorde also performed her other hit, "Team". It wasn't quite as bad as Royals, but it was still awkward. Speaking of awkward...

Most Awkward Performance: Beyonce & Jay-Z

 
 
 
Nothing wrong with the song but it doesn't get more awkward than Beyonce and Jay-Z singing about their sex life on live television and then proceeding to grind on each other on stage. Oh wait...yeah it does. BeyonJay > Kimye.

Most Overrated Performance - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

 
Hipster alert! I've known about this song for over a year now and there's no doubt in my mind that this performance was one of the first times many people heard it. It's a fantastic song with a great message, but it's also being used to support a social agenda. Nothing wrong with that. It's just unavoidable that people are going to overhype it because Macklemore is breaking new ground in hip-hop about an important issue. The performance was expected and, honestly, a bit cheesy. Also, I saw him perform this live at SXSW 2013 and he did even better with it, so maybe my expectations were a bit high. Either way, good performance but overrated.
 
Best or Worst Performance I Didn't Watch: Taylor Swift
 
 
Good? Bad? Who knows? I didn't watch. It's Taylor Swift and I don't really care for her. I assume whatever song she sang was about some guy who left her. Or that she left. Or that misses her. Or that she hates. I bet I'm right.
 
I feel the need to mention Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney's performance. I love the Beatles and it was cool seeing the two musicians on stage together. I also enjoyed Robin Thicke and Chicago's collaboration. Of course, Daft Punk, Pharrell and Stevie Wonder were fantastic. Their performance was a very close runner-up to Kendrick Lamar and Imagine Dragons.
 
Oh, and this happened. Win.
Courtesy: E! Online


No comments:

Post a Comment